MMA Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place for MMA fans to discuss MMA News, Events, and where MMA fans can give their fight predictions on MMA events.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Rich Davie discusses the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz event and gives his main card predictions..... UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz Main Card Predictions On 'The MMA Live Chat Show', Click here to listen...
Rich Davie discusses and recaps the TUF 20 Episode 11 show featuring the final two quarterfinal fights between Carla Esparza vs. Tecia Torres and Joanne Calderwood vs. Rose Namajunas... TUF 20 Episode 11 - Esparza vs. Torres and Calderwood vs. Namajunas Recap... Click here to listen
The Event Pool XII - UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Fantasy Challenge has been settled... You can see the results by clicking this link...
We Stream Live on YouTube Wednesdays and Sundays...
We'll be doing another "MMA Live Chat Show" soon... The topic is yet to be determined... if you'd like to join us, just say so in the following thread by clicking on the link... Click Here To Let Us Know You Want To Join Us On The Show...

Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge

Go down 
+2
Rich Davie
IRONHORSE
6 posters
AuthorMessage
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Chat Cash : 11065

Character Sheet
Total Points: 500
Bar:
Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Left_bar_bleue1/1Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Empty
PostSubject: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 5:08 am

Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Gabi-Garcia.0_standard_709.0

By: IronHorse
@Ironhorse_somo
July 3, 2014

The current UFC Womens' Bantamweight (135 pound) Champion, Ronda Rousey, was recently quoted as having said :

Quote :
" It's definitely an interesting new challenge [fighting BJJ black belt Alexis Davis at UFC 175]. One thing that I couldn't stand when I was just watching MMA and coming from Judo was all these people talking about how the Jiu Jitsu people would beat any Judo player. It was such a stereotype that I thought, and still think, that I could beat any girl in the world, any weight division, gi or no gi, black belt and any ruleset they want, in just pure Jiu Jitsu."

Needless to say, the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu community was none too pleased with that statement, and quite a few female BJJ practitioners have stepped forward and declared themselves ready and willing to answer that challenge. One in particular, made my jaw drop, and had me thinking to myself "Ronda, there's no question you're a badass, but you just may have put your foot in your mouth."

Meet Gabrielle "Gabi" Lemos Garcia. She's a BJJ black belt under Fabio Gurgel. And no, that picture isn't doctored, she is that much bigger than Wanderlei Silva. She Stands 6 feet 2 inches tall, and weighs 236 pounds. And, as you can see, that is a solid 236 pounds, with "guns" most guys would envy. She's had quite a career as a BJJ practitioner, Including:

7x World Champion (2013 weight & absolute*, 2012, 2011 & 2010 weight and absolute, 2008)
4x Pan American Champion (2013*, 2011 & 2010 weight/absolute)
4x Brazilian National Champion (2011 black, 2010 brown weight & absolute, 2009 brown)
2x World No Gi Champion (2009, 2008)
2x World Jiu Jitsu Pro Cup Champion (2010, 2011)
ADCC Champion (2011)
European Champion (2011 absolute black)

*Stripped of her titles in 2013 due to the use of PED's.
* However: It is noted that although she was stripped of the titles accrued during her 2013 campaign, she was found to have used Performance Enhancing Drugs unknowingly, and was not suspended from the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation.

Quote :
Gabi Garcia answers Ronda Rousey's open challenge with this quote:

"I rather believe she didn't know what she was saying. It's not possible for someone to display such a lack of humbleness. She disrespected Jiu-Jitsu as a whole. The first quality of a champion is to be humble and to respect others. As my professor Fabio Gurgel said, I'm ready and at her disposal to fight her under any rules, with or without gi."

There aren't very many women that I would take odds on against Ronda Rousey. However, in this case, with Ronda giving up 101 pounds, 6 inches in height, and an unknown reach advantage - not to mention a strength advantage that I would be hard pressed to even define, against a grappler as obviously skilled as Gabi Garcia - I wouldn't be very hesitant to lay my money down.

Last edited by Rich Davie on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected formatting)
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Chat Cash : 26763

Character Sheet
Bar:
Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Left_bar_bleue1/1Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 1:35 pm

The only thing I can say is...

Wow... that's a frightening vision ! Shocked

I went and checked out some of the photos of Gabi, and her physical progression leaves no doubt that she's a fan of "juice."

Early on, she looked somewhat "normal."

...but in my best Anderson Silva voice :

Es NOT normal !  affraid 
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm

I know this much... I wouldn't get in the ring with her!  Ahhhhh
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Me neither !
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Just ran across this....condensed into meme form.

Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge 10449932_786566671388704_2402712682459832783_n
Back to top Go down
Rousey Fan
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
Rousey Fan

Chat Cash : 7656

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 12:26 pm

I think most people know that Ronda Rousey meant any BJJ woman that would meet her at 135 she could beat, but a beast like this that is nearly twice her size isn't even a reasonable consideration.
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Rousey Fan wrote:
I think most people know that Ronda Rousey meant any BJJ woman that would meet her at 135 she could beat, but a beast like this that is nearly twice her size isn't even a reasonable consideration.

But, if you read her quote above, she did say "any weight class." As for the rest, I agree.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 1:13 pm

IRONHORSE wrote:
Rousey Fan wrote:

But, if you read her quote above, she did say "any weight class." As for the rest, I agree.

I love Rousey, but that "any weight class" talk is a fantasy... this Gabi Garcia looks a bit like "The Thing" from the Fantastic 4 to me, and would simply rag doll Rousey.

I couldn't help myself, so I made a Gabi to Thing morphing GIF :

Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge GabitoThing_zps33aee418
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 1:18 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm

I've heard some MMA fans think that Rousey can beat Gabi Garcia.

On the surface of things, I just don't see how... but I'd actually have to look deeper into Gabi Garcia's history to be certain.
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Watch some of her fight vids.... She's impressive.

I kind of discount those who say Ronda would beat her, right off hand like that. There are those out there who think Ronda could beat Godzilla, The Incredible Hulk, and Cain Velasquez - all at the same time. A strange sort of hero worship. Ronda is a badass - no question - but she's not invincible.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 5:47 pm

IRONHORSE wrote:
Watch some of her fight vids.... She's impressive.

I kind of discount those who say Ronda would beat her, right off hand like that. There are those out there who think Ronda could beat Godzilla, The Incredible Hulk, and Cain Velasquez - all at the same time. A strange sort of hero worship. Ronda is a badass - no question - but she's not invincible.

Exactly my feelings on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Bumping Thread Rousey/Carano/Justino threads since there's a lull in action before the next event.
Back to top Go down
MMA Fan
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
MMA Fan

Chat Cash : 18671

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am

Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge FotoRanking
Back to top Go down
MMA Fan
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
MMA Fan

Chat Cash : 18671

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 10:29 am

Gabi Garcia Tests Positive For The Prohibited Substance Clomiphene After 2013 Worlds
http://www.bjjee.com/featured/gabi-garcia-tests-positive-for-the-prohibited-substance-clomiphene-after-2013-worlds/
Back to top Go down
TANITWH
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
TANITWH

Chat Cash : 9630

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Aug 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Rich Davie wrote:
The only thing I can say is...

Wow... that's a frightening vision ! Shocked

I went and checked out some of the photos of Gabi, and her physical progression leaves no doubt that she's a fan of "juice."

Early on, she looked somewhat "normal."

...but in my best Anderson Silva voice :

Es NOT normal !  affraid 

I went and looked too, and I agree.
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 am

MMA Fan wrote:
Gabi Garcia Tests Positive For The Prohibited Substance Clomiphene After 2013 Worlds
http://www.bjjee.com/featured/gabi-garcia-tests-positive-for-the-prohibited-substance-clomiphene-after-2013-worlds/

I did a little more research on this, and this substance is mainly banned for male competitors. Females gain no performance enhancement from it. In fact, it's usually prescribed to females as an aid in getting pregnant.
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:25 am

Also guys, I've been reading that Gabi's cutting weight down to 205 (shakes head...that's hard to compute) and is preparing to make her MMA debut towards the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
Bill Waugh
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
Bill Waugh

Chat Cash : 5559

Character Sheet
Bar:
Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Left_bar_bleue500/500Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Empty_bar_bleue  (500/500)

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:45 am

That should be interesting.

Where do you think she will make her MMA debut?
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 10:01 am

Bill Waugh wrote:
That should be interesting.

Where do you think she will make her MMA debut?

I honestly have no idea. I can't think of any promotions that have a women's 205 pound division. Heck, I wonder who she's going to fight?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge   Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

Meet the monster standing by to answer Ronda Rousey's open challenge
Page 1 of 1