MMA Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place for MMA fans to discuss MMA News, Events, and where MMA fans can give their fight predictions on MMA events.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Rich Davie discusses the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz event and gives his main card predictions..... UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz Main Card Predictions On 'The MMA Live Chat Show', Click here to listen...
Rich Davie discusses and recaps the TUF 20 Episode 11 show featuring the final two quarterfinal fights between Carla Esparza vs. Tecia Torres and Joanne Calderwood vs. Rose Namajunas... TUF 20 Episode 11 - Esparza vs. Torres and Calderwood vs. Namajunas Recap... Click here to listen
The Event Pool XII - UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Fantasy Challenge has been settled... You can see the results by clicking this link...
We Stream Live on YouTube Wednesdays and Sundays...
We'll be doing another "MMA Live Chat Show" soon... The topic is yet to be determined... if you'd like to join us, just say so in the following thread by clicking on the link... Click Here To Let Us Know You Want To Join Us On The Show...

Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Chat Cash : 26893

Character Sheet
Total Points: 500
Bar:
Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag Left_bar_bleue1/1Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag Empty
PostSubject: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptyFri Jun 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag Gina-Carano
FREDERIC J. BROWN / AFP

Mike Chiappetta
FOX Sports
JUN 25, 2014 6:28 pm ET

The on-again, off-again talks between women's MMA pioneer Gina Carano and the UFC are apparently off-again.
That's the word from UFC Tonight insider Ariel Helwani, who reported on Wednesday night's show that negotiations between the two sides have skidded to a stall.

According to Helwani, the talks are not necessarily dead, but it remains unclear whether Carano will ever actually fight in the octagon.

Speculation that Carano would ink a new deal has raged for months, and at one point, UFC president Dana White declared himself "confident" that he'd be able to land one of the few fighters at large able to move the needle. Carano remains under Zuffa contract from her time in Strikeforce, but the two have been attempting to agree upon a new pact that would officially bring her into the UFC fold.

Now 32 years old, Carano's absence from MMA will reach the five-year mark on Aug. 15. That's the anniversary of her landmark Strikeforce championship match with Cris "Cyborg," which she lost via TKO.

Shortly afterward, she embarked upon a film career, and has since acted in and signed on to various projects that have played a role in keeping her away from active competition.

But upon the UFC's addition of women's fighting in 2013, Carano quickly became an intriguing shadow figure, with bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey saying she'd "bend over backwards" to make a fight happen with the pioneer.
Carano, who has never previously fought at 135 pounds, is 7-1 in her pro fight career.

Meanwhile, Helwani reported that talks between the UFC and Holly Holm are progressing well, and for now, it seems as though she is the more likely of the two to find her way into the octagon sometime soon.

Holm, who compiled a 33-2-3 record in pro boxing, has gone a perfect 7-0 since transitioning to mixed martial arts.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/talks-between-gina-carano-ufc-hit-snag-062514
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Chat Cash : 11195

Character Sheet
Bar:
Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag Left_bar_bleue1/1Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 12:17 am

I'm kind of ambivalent about Carano's return.  There's a possibility she might be a threat to Rousey, which is something to be excited about - I want to see someone really test Ronda. But man, 5 years off - that's a long time. There'd have to be some intensive training, and I would hope at least 1 fight, first.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptySat Jun 28, 2014 4:10 am

It's gonna be tough for Gina.

I don't believe she's ever fought at 135, and she's struggled to make weight at 140 / 145... and post MMA Gina is looking a tad bit bigger, then add the long layoff in there, the expiring of her Strikeforce contract and free-agency, the somewhat successful movie career, and there's more things than you need to lead you to believe that Gina won't be signing to fight Ronda at 135 anytime soon.

More than likely what's happening is that Gina intentionally allowed her Strikeforce contract to expire, making her a free-agent so she had more bargaining power, and she's probably looking for a 1 to 2 fight contract with much better financial terms than she's had in the past... and I'd guess the 1 to 2 fights will be at a catchweight of 140, but even though Rousey has previously said that she'd accommodate Carano to make the fight happen, Ronda is taking a short break after UFC 175 so who knows.

I don't like the catchweight idea because then it's not a title fight and the fight doesn't really make sense for the existing women's divisions in the UFC, but I wouldn't mind watching Ronda vs. Gina at 140 just to see Gina fighting again... and fighting in the UFC.

I think Gina and the UFC will come to some sort of terms, even if Gina doesn't sign to fight at 135.
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 11:40 am

I just read a tweet by UKWMMA hinting that The deal's done, and Carano's first fight in the UFC will be against Liz Carmouche. Hope this is true! (Big Carmouche fan here!)

Last edited by IRONHORSE on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rousey Fan
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
Rousey Fan

Chat Cash : 7786

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 am

WOW!!!!

This is great news !

I'm happy with that match up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 pm

IRONHORSE wrote:
I just read a tweet by UKWMMA hinting that The deal's done, and Carano's first fight in the UFC will be against Liz Carmouche. Hope this is true! (Big Carmouche fan here!)

I'm having some problems with my browser right now, but when I get that straight I'll look for and post the tweet.

This is fantastic news though... and I'm happy that she'll be fighting Carmouche first, that's a tough welcome-back-fight for Gina.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 1:07 pm

Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag EmptySat Aug 02, 2014 3:13 pm

I have great respect for Gina, and all she's done.... but Liz is my Girl-rilla! I'll be pulling for Liz, if this tilt comes to pass! War Liz!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag   Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag Empty

Back to top Go down

Talks between Gina Carano, UFC hit snag
Page 1 of 1