MMA Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place for MMA fans to discuss MMA News, Events, and where MMA fans can give their fight predictions on MMA events.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Rich Davie discusses the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz event and gives his main card predictions..... UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz Main Card Predictions On 'The MMA Live Chat Show', Click here to listen...
Rich Davie discusses and recaps the TUF 20 Episode 11 show featuring the final two quarterfinal fights between Carla Esparza vs. Tecia Torres and Joanne Calderwood vs. Rose Namajunas... TUF 20 Episode 11 - Esparza vs. Torres and Calderwood vs. Namajunas Recap... Click here to listen
The Event Pool XII - UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Fantasy Challenge has been settled... You can see the results by clicking this link...
We Stream Live on YouTube Wednesdays and Sundays...
We'll be doing another "MMA Live Chat Show" soon... The topic is yet to be determined... if you'd like to join us, just say so in the following thread by clicking on the link... Click Here To Let Us Know You Want To Join Us On The Show...

Let the games begin

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
David Petruic
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
David Petruic

Chat Cash : 3754

Character Sheet
Total Points: 500
Bar:
Let the games begin Left_bar_bleue1/1Let the games begin Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Let the games begin Empty
PostSubject: Let the games begin   Let the games begin EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Let the games begin A06bea40-6c9a-4744-823a-ae08bb18cb65_zps0e85233e

By David Petruic
@DavidPetruic
March 18, 2014

With the long awaited match up between Hendricks and Lawler to decide who would hold the vacant welterweight title now in the history books with Johny Hendricks narrowly edging a decision victory over Robbie Lawler, many are arguing over who should be next contender.

The welterweight division was recently shaken up majorly with the retirement of GSP and a very deep division was now open for many fighters to make a run for the belt. MacDonald, Lawler, Condit, Woodley, Lombard and Brown being the standouts who have made no qualms about their intention to get that belt.

With Condit out of the picture now for about a year with a partial tear of his MCL and tear of his ACL as a result of his battle this past Saturday in a TKO loss to Tyron Woodley. Now with Matt Brown returning into the mix the welterweight division has not been this exciting in years.

If the UFC play their cards right they have some great match ups this upcoming year. Here are some potential fights the UFC should put together that would garner the most interest.

Firstly Hendricks needs a challenger because you ain't champ until you successfully defend your belt. Tyron Woodley makes the most sense as the first contender, being that he just dismantled the #2 contender and sidelined him for up to a year, as well as putting on very impressive technical performances in his last 2 fights there also is factor that these 2 gentlemen were competitors in NCAA division 1 wrestling which as Tyron put it "they have some unfinished business" this also bodes well in gaining many new fans with the huge love of amateur wrestling in the United States, as well as many other countries.

The next match up the UFC should put together is Rory MacDonald and Robbie Lawler, this match plays perfect into the UFC's mantra of styles make fights, MacDonlald being the technical master and game-planner, and Lawler having that brawler style mixed with a granite chin and hands of steel would have have both sides of the border (US/Canada) very excited to see that fight co-main a championship event or headline a UFN card, maybe in Canada?

Which brings us to the next fight the UFC has to do. Hector Lombard against against the winner of the upcoming winner of the Matt Brown and Erick Silva fight. Even though Lombard stated that he is ready to face Hendricks there is still a lot for Hector to prove. As a newcomer to the potential contender table he struggled with the awkward Jake Shields and has had a couple of lackluster performances in the UFC which makes him questionable as a game contender. Both Brown and Silva would be excellent matches for him as both fighters are young hungry and love to push the pace and would test his chin, his stamina,  his ability to finish and not get finished himself.  Hopefully in the upcoming year these are some of the considerations for matches in the welterweight division of the UFC, it could be an amazing year.
Back to top Go down
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Chat Cash : 3450

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Let the games begin   Let the games begin EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Rory already lost to Lawler.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Chat Cash : 26772

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Let the games begin   Let the games begin EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 6:32 pm

Good job David... we'll get this posted on FaceBook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Let the games begin   Let the games begin EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 6:39 pm

I would actually like to see Hendricks/Lawler 2 since it was a very close fight, and Lawler is clearly the #1 contender now with Condit losing to a ranked #11 Woodley. I too think styles make fights. So I would like to see Rory and Woodley square off. As well as Lombard and Diaz if they can convince him to come back.

Then the most exciting finish of the two fights should get a crack at the title. I would love to see Woodley get a shot, but I just think the timing is wrong.
Back to top Go down
David Petruic
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
David Petruic

Chat Cash : 3754

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Let the games begin   Let the games begin EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm

With Diaz retired and unranked it makes no sense in the world for him to be thrown in the mix, unretired and competing, then yes I waould have Diaz in there but I couldn't even consider him to be a part of my article. We will see in the upcoming weeks if that indeed does change.
Back to top Go down
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Let the games begin   Let the games begin EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 8:54 pm

David Petruic wrote:
With Diaz retired and unranked it makes no sense in the world for him to be thrown in the mix, unretired and competing, then yes I waould have Diaz in there but I couldn't even consider him to be a part of my article. We will see in the upcoming weeks if that indeed does change.

If he does decide to come back, he will get a top fighter. His last two losses were to Condit and GSP. He hinted at a return during UFC 171 interviews. Probably only for a title shot, but could possibly come back if he was guaranteed a shot with a win.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/15/5513508/nick-diaz-im-ready-to-fight#ooid=t0dWg3bDqCYQZ8tTiDjWQhcveiCkh9No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let the games begin   Let the games begin Empty

Back to top Go down

Let the games begin
Page 1 of 1