MMA Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place for MMA fans to discuss MMA News, Events, and where MMA fans can give their fight predictions on MMA events.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Rich Davie discusses the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz event and gives his main card predictions..... UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz Main Card Predictions On 'The MMA Live Chat Show', Click here to listen...
Rich Davie discusses and recaps the TUF 20 Episode 11 show featuring the final two quarterfinal fights between Carla Esparza vs. Tecia Torres and Joanne Calderwood vs. Rose Namajunas... TUF 20 Episode 11 - Esparza vs. Torres and Calderwood vs. Namajunas Recap... Click here to listen
The Event Pool XII - UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Fantasy Challenge has been settled... You can see the results by clicking this link...
We Stream Live on YouTube Wednesdays and Sundays...
We'll be doing another "MMA Live Chat Show" soon... The topic is yet to be determined... if you'd like to join us, just say so in the following thread by clicking on the link... Click Here To Let Us Know You Want To Join Us On The Show...

When to Interview

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Acoope18
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa
Acoope18

Chat Cash : 4750

Character Sheet
Total Points: 500
Bar:
When to Interview Left_bar_bleue1/1When to Interview Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

When to Interview Empty
PostSubject: When to Interview   When to Interview EmptySun Aug 03, 2014 6:37 pm

When to Interview WhentoInterview_zpsac123dc0

By: Antonio Cooper
@AntonioCooper88
August 3, 2014

I love the cage, I love talking to fighters before hand and afterwords. It doesn’t matter if the fighter won or lost, its a certain sense of gratification that both, the interviewer and the fighters feel after a successful event, but I’m getting off topic. With this post I want to explain when it’s not ok to interview a fighter throughout the fighting event.
Overtime I’ve covered my fair share of fights, during these fights I’ve messed up royally, and sometimes I’ve made the toughest Russian smile, my degree of success varies. What I wanted to do was give you at least three examples to when it’s ok and not ok to interview these warriors of the cage.

1- Never interview them immediately after if they’ve lost.

A fighter has given up food, sex, and a bunch of other fun stuff for the liberty of legally punching someone in the face. After losing this battle, the last thing he’ll want is some overweight, college senior in his face trying to get an explanation as to why he “let” himself get hit with 27-straight right hands. Fighters maybe tougher than $2 steak on the outside, but I’ve literally seen fighters cry from this mistake. Simply asking “What went wrong?” Could bring the biggest 6’4 257 pound man to tears (Literally, I can not stress how big of a mistake this was on my behalf)

Solution - Wait until the event is over to interview the losers of the bouts. After their bout is over, always interview the fighters whom have won their respective bouts. They’re high on energy, they’re fun and they want their name in that article for kicking ass and taking names. I’m only a rookie at this interviewing thing but this is one thing I certainly know is true.

2- Never interview someone with any injuries what-so-ever.

I think this should go without saying, but once again I’m speaking from my own prior experiences. Following a bout at Triple Extreme Cagefighting, one fighter walked away with a split decision victory. Their fight was easily the best fight of the night, unfortunately you know my rule on interviewing losers, so I was excited to interview the winner. I ask my typical opening question

"how did it feel getting your hand raised back there?"

he responds. “bergerhap *fart sounds* blahkumeger mee taar duuur

It only took me forever to realize that I was participating in the most painful interview ever as the man had, what’s known as a broken jaw…. I went without the quote.

Solution - Don’t talk to them…..ever.

3- Rarely interview a fighter before they weigh-in.

As we know, fighters have to make weight in order to participate in the fight. As mentioned before, fighters give up pretty much everything fun in order to make weight. The weigh-in takes place the day before the actual fight, giving fighters the chance to hydrate, eat real food and get themselves physically back to their natural weight in order to fight at full health once again. The issue with interviewing fighters before they weigh-in is simple, they’re starving majority of the time and with some amateur MMA promotions, fighters have food prepared for them at the weigh-in.
I’ve had the word “fight” replaced by the word “Chicken”. I’ve heard the words “takedown” replaced with “breadstick” Their attention span is short, they can’t wait to eat and the only thing standing between him and his plate of bosco-sticks is you.

Solution - Although this is a bad idea, never rule out the fact that this is a very hilarious idea as well. Try it if you want a chuckle later on as you browse through your sound-clips. What I’ll recommend is to simply wait. Although fighters are generally nice people, who’ll help you do your job by talking to you before hand. It’s kind of an @sshole move to speak to them before they eat, in hopes of catching a verbal trip from a man who could easily kick your behind six ways to Sunday. Wait until he weigh’s in, eats his food and gets a few burps out before you chat with him. It’ll be much smoother for both, you and him.

Thanks for reading, once again I am,
The Journalist who sucks at writing.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Chat Cash : 26794

Character Sheet
Bar:

When to Interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: When to Interview   When to Interview EmptyMon Aug 04, 2014 12:58 am

I wouldn't knock yourself Antonio... I enjoy reading your articles.

I'm anxiously waiting to see, hear, or read some of your fighter interviews.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Chat Cash : 26794

Character Sheet
Bar:

When to Interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: When to Interview   When to Interview EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Bumping Thread since there's a lull in action before the next event.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
Sponsored content

When to Interview Empty
PostSubject: Re: When to Interview   When to Interview Empty

Back to top Go down

When to Interview
Page 1 of 1