MMA Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place for MMA fans to discuss MMA News, Events, and where MMA fans can give their fight predictions on MMA events.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Rich Davie discusses the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz event and gives his main card predictions..... UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz Main Card Predictions On 'The MMA Live Chat Show', Click here to listen...
Rich Davie discusses and recaps the TUF 20 Episode 11 show featuring the final two quarterfinal fights between Carla Esparza vs. Tecia Torres and Joanne Calderwood vs. Rose Namajunas... TUF 20 Episode 11 - Esparza vs. Torres and Calderwood vs. Namajunas Recap... Click here to listen
The Event Pool XII - UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Fantasy Challenge has been settled... You can see the results by clicking this link...
We Stream Live on YouTube Wednesdays and Sundays...
We'll be doing another "MMA Live Chat Show" soon... The topic is yet to be determined... if you'd like to join us, just say so in the following thread by clicking on the link... Click Here To Let Us Know You Want To Join Us On The Show...

NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Chat Cash : 3450

Character Sheet
Total Points: 500
Bar:
NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  Left_bar_bleue1/1NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  Empty
PostSubject: NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.    NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 11:54 am

NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  Screenshot2013-06-11at10.45.16AM_crop_north

February 28, 2014

Yesterday was a huge day for combat sports with the NSAC (Nevada State Athletic Commission) banning TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) and TUEs (Therapeutic Use Exemptions) from being used in the state for licensing fighters to compete in sanctioned bouts. The UFC soon followed their lead and has announced they will enforce bans on TRTs and TUEs as well in their league.  

Early this morning, the UFC announced that Vitor Belfort has pulled out of his match with the Middleweight champ, Chris Weidman. Lyoto Machida has been announced as his replacement.

"The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently altered its policy and no longer will permit testosterone use exemptions, and will not permit a TRT program," Belfort said in a statement. "As other jurisdictions may follow suit, I am going to drop my TRT program and compete in MMA without it.

"Given the time constraints involved between now and my proposed next bout in May, I have determined not to apply for a license to fight in Nevada at this time."

ESPN, in many people's eyes, were really the ones to get the ball rolling with their article on the imbalance of TRT use in Mixed Martial Arts compared to other sports. Check their article out here.

The news looks to be positive for many fighters. Here is an article from MMAFIGHTING.com on how the pros are reacting to the news.

I have been against TRT being allowed in combat sports because of the chance for it to be abused. Testosterone Replacement Therapy consists of giving synthetic testosterone to bring the patients testosterone levels to a normal range. However, testosterone itself is a steroid hormone. Our bodies naturally produce it. Over time though, our bodies can start to produce it less and less. The potential for abuse is very high amongst athletes since it was legal, and they could up their dosages for training and taper off close to their matches to bring the testosterone down to acceptable levels.

The UFC has stated that they were constantly monitoring those with the exemption to use TRT. However, fighters like Chael Sonnen and Antonio Silva have failed tests after matches. Silva is currently serving a suspension for his failed test.

Now that TRT and TUEs have been eliminated, it will be interesting to see what happens with the fighters who currently have exemptions. Do they keep fighting? Do they retire? If they do continue to fight, how will their fights play out? Typically, TRT hasn't seemed to help fighters out. With the exception of Belfort. TRT doesn't make you a better fighter, but misuse can lead to fighters being able to train with an unfair advantage. Only time will tell how this ruling effects the sport, but for now this is a step in the right direction.

Kudos to the UFC for following the NSAC's ruling and adopting it for their fighters as well. You have made this fight fan a happy guy.

UPDATE: According to Vitor Belfort, he was pulled from the fight. Here is a translation of what he says on his Facebook page.

"I never gave up fighting in UFC 173 and never mentioned it. Therefore, all information posted in any mass media advertising that is not true.

What I announced was that I will be resigning "TRT" and not "giving up the fight" to continue my dream of fighting.

The UFC decided to put another opponent in my place because I didn't have time to fit the new rules of the NSAC. According to the UFC, I will face the winner of Weidman vs Lyotto within the new regulations of all the Athletic Commissions.

I'm sorry that this happened, and I appreciate the strength and understanding of all fans, sponsors, UFC and athletic commissions ".

Last edited by Rich Davie on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Moved to UFC Forum)
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Chat Cash : 26772

Character Sheet
Bar:
NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  Left_bar_bleue1/1NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.    NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 11:59 am

I agree with the NSAC and the UFC's move to ban TRT... it took me awhile to come around to that side of the table, but it became way too obvious that TUEs for TRT was just an excuse for some fighters to gain the edge against their opponent.

If you need TRT to remain in the game, it's probably time to call it a day in MMA.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.    NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Rich Davie wrote:
If you need TRT to remain in the game, it's probably time to call it a day in MMA.
My thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.    NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 2:06 pm

It looks as though Vitor was pulled and did not back out of the fight like the UFC originally said.

Here is what Lorenzo Fertitta said on it:

“At the end of the day, we have a fight to promote on May 24. Chris is going to defend his title, and you know how this business works: You’ve got to get commercials in two to three months early. We’ve got to get key art done. We’ve got a fight to promote and Vitor, because [NSAC] came down with this ruling, Vitor is going to have to comply with that, which he is going to. But we don’t know how long that process will take ...for him to get a license, whether it is two weeks or two months. We can’t be in limbo as a company. We need to promote a fight, so the most logical thing was for Vitor to get going with his process to file an application in Nevada, and once that gets done, we could revisit this thing. But we have a fight to promote on the 24th and we can’t sit around in limbo and wonder whether he’s going to be eligible to fight.”

From MMA Mania

This is one of the things I can't stand about the UFC. Quit lying to your fans. Tell us the truth up front. We will understand. It makes you look like assholes when you lie to us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.    NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.  Empty

Back to top Go down

NSAC and the UFC have done the right thing by banning TRT and TUEs.
Page 1 of 1