MMA Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the place for MMA fans to discuss MMA News, Events, and where MMA fans can give their fight predictions on MMA events.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Rich Davie discusses the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz event and gives his main card predictions..... UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz Main Card Predictions On 'The MMA Live Chat Show', Click here to listen...
Rich Davie discusses and recaps the TUF 20 Episode 11 show featuring the final two quarterfinal fights between Carla Esparza vs. Tecia Torres and Joanne Calderwood vs. Rose Namajunas... TUF 20 Episode 11 - Esparza vs. Torres and Calderwood vs. Namajunas Recap... Click here to listen
The Event Pool XII - UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Fantasy Challenge has been settled... You can see the results by clicking this link...
We Stream Live on YouTube Wednesdays and Sundays...
We'll be doing another "MMA Live Chat Show" soon... The topic is yet to be determined... if you'd like to join us, just say so in the following thread by clicking on the link... Click Here To Let Us Know You Want To Join Us On The Show...

Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Chat Cash : 3450

Character Sheet
Total Points: 500
Bar:
Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You Left_bar_bleue1/1Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You Empty
PostSubject: Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You   Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You 351443-google
Google+ was doomed for a number of reasons, but the one that always stuck with me was when I read that Google CEO Larry Page had tied every employee's bonus to the success of the then fledgling social network. Money is a big motivator, especially in Silicon Valley, but Page's decree was representative of the naive perceptions of social media as some mystical power that could be wielded with the simple construction of a Facebook-esque sharing service.

The early landscape of social networking is littered with countless, forgotten products that all seemed to have the same flimsy marketing credo about connecting and sharing with friends. While those services died a relatively quick death, Google had the luxury of being a multi-billion dollar company that just happened to be suffering from some serious Zuckerberg jealousy.

So, Google created a social product that we didn't need, want, or care about, and proceeded to shove it down our collective gullets by integrating it with the Google services that a very large number of us use every single day, namely Gmail. On paper that sounds like a brilliant product strategy: give everyone who signs up for Gmail a Google+ account. That allowed for those coveted bonuses to be handed out, and spurred press clippings about Google+'s very healthy growth. In reality, what Google did was accomplish the exact opposite of a social network. It created an anti-social network, whereby millions of accounts were dead on arrival because they had been forced on us. In most cases the average user probably doesn't even know they have a Google+ profile.

Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You 413311-opinions

Now that Google+ architect Vic Gundotra is leaving the company, the social network that never was is reportedly dead. Its best team members are being moved to projects Google actually cares about, and the company's plans to transition G+ from a product to a platform is its way of saving face. Hopefully, Google+ will sink into the digital sea like an old wooden ship that can no longer sail.
The irony is that I'm actually having a love affair with Google right now. Project Arais probably the coolest initiative on my radar, it swiped a drone company from right under Facebook, and the current game of one-upmanship with affordable flagship Android-powered phones is turning my attention away from my iPhone. I'm not saying that Google couldn't make a decent social product, but it has its fingers in far more interesting pies right now.

Facebook is doing something very smart by not turning the service into a multi-tentacled, user experience nightmare by integrating its acquisitions into the ecosystem. Instagram is a juggernaut,  WhatsApp is remaining independent, Messenger is now its own product, and Oculus Rift has the potential to be Facebook's crown jewel going forward. This unbundling of products is something I hope Google adopts, because the last thing I want to see is another terrible product piggybacking on my beloved Gmail.

For another take, check out Google+ Is Better Than Facebook.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2457228,00.asp
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Chat Cash : 26772

Character Sheet
Bar:
Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You Left_bar_bleue1/1Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You Empty_bar_bleue  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You   Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 2:05 pm

I never cared for Google+

I know a couple of so called "Tech Guru's" who relentlessly pushed and touted Google+, but I never even really got into FaceBook let alone Google+.

I do however miss iGoogle that was taken away from us in November 2013... which allowed you to configure your Google page anyway you wanted to with a wide array of very useful widgets.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks
Angry Gameboy

Chat Cash : 3450

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You   Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Rich Davie wrote:
I never cared for Google+

I know a couple of so called "Tech Guru's" who relentlessly pushed and touted Google+, but I never even really got into FaceBook let alone Google+.

I do however miss iGoogle that was taken away from us in November 2013... which allowed you to configure your Google page anyway you wanted to with a wide array of very useful widgets.
iGoogle was great. Hopefully they keep G+ up though or we will have to find a different way to record shows.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You   Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 2:46 pm

I think we'll be good to go with the shows... they're actually set-up through the video manager from my YouTube account and use Google Hangouts to handle the live streaming.
Back to top Go down
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator
Rich Davie

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You   Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 pm

With Google+ going away, now maybe more people will comment and up vote the shows... because as it is right now, you can't comment or vote on the videos unless you're signed-in with your Google+ account.
Back to top Go down
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge
IRONHORSE

Chat Cash : 11074

Character Sheet
Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You   Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 8:16 am

I really only "got my feet wet" with Google+ as far as I had to, to be able to sit in on the Live Chat programs that were hosted through that medium. So, I can't really say its demise is going to have any real effect on me. So, it's going away? To quote Curly Bill  Brocius from "Tombstone" - "Well...... Bye."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You   Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You Empty

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Google+, I Wish I Never Knew You
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MMA Chat :: Off Topic Forums :: Tech Forum-
Jump to: