This is the place for MMA fans to discuss MMA News, Events, and where MMA fans can give their fight predictions on MMA events.

PortalHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Rich Davie discusses the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz event and gives his main card predictions..... UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz Main Card Predictions On 'The MMA Live Chat Show', Click here to listen...
Rich Davie discusses and recaps the TUF 20 Episode 11 show featuring the final two quarterfinal fights between Carla Esparza vs. Tecia Torres and Joanne Calderwood vs. Rose Namajunas... TUF 20 Episode 11 - Esparza vs. Torres and Calderwood vs. Namajunas Recap... Click here to listen
The Event Pool XII - UFC 178: Johnson vs. Cariaso Fantasy Challenge has been settled... You can see the results by clicking this link...
We Stream Live on YouTube Wednesdays and Sundays...
We'll be doing another "MMA Live Chat Show" soon... The topic is yet to be determined... if you'd like to join us, just say so in the following thread by clicking on the link... Click Here To Let Us Know You Want To Join Us On The Show...

Share | 

Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator

Chat Cash : 24419

Character Sheet
Total Points: 500
Bar:
1/1  (1/1)

PostSubject: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Chris Trotman
TRT exemptions will no longer be given by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, including for users who have already received them in the past.

By Brent Brookhouse
Feb 27 2014, 3:34 pm

One of the most controversial subjects in combat sports over the past few years has been the rise in athletes who have utilized Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT). Many fighters have been able to get exemptions to use TRT in competition to address a diagnosis of low testosterone.

One of the main issues with TRT has been that there are many ways to "cheat" the tests for "low T" and get on the therapy, which can amount to what many consider legalized steroid use.

Today, the Nevada State Athletic Commission voted unanimously to ban TRT entirely in boxing and mixed martial arts, no longer giving exemptions for fighters.

One of the more interesting notes is how sweeping this truly is:

Quote :
Shaun Al-Shatti @shaunalshatti
Follow
The NSAC's ban on TRT is effective immediately not only for future users, but also current users and past fighters who've received a TUE.
3:18 PM - 27 Feb 2014

The decision comes in the wake of a fairly scathing ESPN "Outside the Lines" piece which covered just how high TRT exemptions are in the MMA world.

The most obvious and immediate bout that will be impacted by this turn of events is the bout between Vitor Belfort and Chris Weidman for the UFC middleweight title. Belfort has seen a career rebirth since going on TRT and has been the posterboy for the anti-TRT movement as prior steroid abuse can be a cause of low testosterone. Belfort failed a Nevada drug test for steroid abuse several years ago, leading to some A + B = C thinking from many.

We'll have more on the fallout of this massive decision by the NSAC in the coming hours and days.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/27/5454326/TRT-banned-in-ufc-boxing-nsac

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

Too many people prefer the blue pill... me, I prefer the red pill.         Belief Creates Its Own Reality

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Isoroku Yamamoto

The problem confronting the world today is that the world is full of ideologues who are more concerned with promoting their ideology than dealing in the facts.

An uneducated populous will fall for anything - Dr. Benjamin Carson

Stick with me... and you'll be wearing horse turds as big as diamonds !
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks

Chat Cash : 1097

Character Sheet
Bar:
1/1  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:42 pm

I hope other states follow suit, and the UFC actually implements their own "no TRT" policy. Unfortunately guys like Hendo wouldn't be able to compete with it, but it is good for the sport to help eliminate any chance of cheating while on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge

Chat Cash : 8721

Character Sheet
Bar:
1/1  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:24 am

You know, I rode the fence on this for a long time. I tried not to have an opinion - mainly 'cause I'm a huge fan of Hendo. But as time wore on, it just seemed to make less and less sense that so many in MMA were finding reasons to "need" TRT. As Fishingtime said, I've eventually reached the conclousion that I'd like to see it eradicated altogether.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks

Character Sheet
Bar:
1/1  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:48 am

It looks like the UFC has followed suit and will keep TRT from being used overseas as well. Many UFC fighters are happy about this.

MMAFighting's article
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich Davie
Administrator
Administrator

Chat Cash : 24419

Character Sheet
Bar:
1/1  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:48 am

I was just popping-in to mention that same thing.

So it now appears that any countries or States that don't have athletic commissions where the UFC acts as the AC, will now have a zero tolerance policy where TRT is concerned... I would assume that most athletic commissions in the States will follow suit very soon.

As I've mentioned on a few of the shows that we do, I had no problem with TUEs for TRT when it's use was legitimate... but it became blatantly clear that TRT was being abused, rather than simply used.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." - George Orwell

Too many people prefer the blue pill... me, I prefer the red pill.         Belief Creates Its Own Reality

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Isoroku Yamamoto

The problem confronting the world today is that the world is full of ideologues who are more concerned with promoting their ideology than dealing in the facts.

An uneducated populous will fall for anything - Dr. Benjamin Carson

Stick with me... and you'll be wearing horse turds as big as diamonds !
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveChatHour
TheSportstender
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa

Chat Cash : 1333

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:06 pm

I wonder if the UFC's stance on TRT has been in any way affected by GSP's criticisms and their hopes of getting him back?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mrjamesryan.com
Angry Gameboy
Moving Up The Ranks
Moving Up The Ranks

Character Sheet
Bar:
1/1  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:09 pm

TheSportstender wrote:
I wonder if the UFC's stance on TRT has been in any way affected by GSP's criticisms and their hopes of getting him back?

I highly doubt it. Dana has been talking badly about TRT for longer than GSP being gone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IRONHORSE
On path of knowledge
On path of knowledge

Chat Cash : 8721

Character Sheet
Bar:
1/1  (1/1)

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 pm

TheSportstender wrote:

If the UFC were to change their stance on TRT, based on the desires of one fighter - even one as beloved by many (except me!) as GSP, I would lose every little bit of respect I had for DFW and the Fertittas.

Fighters don't dictate to promotions their stances. It's the other way around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheSportstender
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 am

Well, I don't really think that the UFC would make a change for any one fighter, not even GSP, but at the same time, they could be viewing this as important enough to address before 1) they lose other fighters, and 2) GSP makes his triumphant return to Bellator instead. I think Dana's ego is massive enough that he would literally do whatever it takes not to lose their top money-maker to the competition.
Back to top Go down
TheSportstender
I am but a Grasshoppa
I am but a Grasshoppa

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 am

But probably not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission   

Back to top Go down

Testosterone Replacement Therapy banned in combat sports by Nevada State Athletic Commission
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MMA Chat :: MMA Forums :: General MMA-
Jump to: